Saturday, February 15, 2014

To those who broke my heart

To those who broke my heart,

Thank you. Honestly thank you. If it weren't for you, I would not be who I am today. You made me stronger and smarter. You showed me new things that I may not have seen without you. I found new music and places. You helped me see how much I could love, and showed me that the love I have is special. You showed me all the things I need in a partner and all the things I should avoid. You helped me realize that being an adult is great and not something to be afraid of. Being a responsible person is not boring and being predictable can be wonderful.

Before you, I thought that loving someone was weakness. All I saw was the pain. And even though you caused me pain, you showed me why it was worth trying. And thanks to you, I let myself love. I met a man who is everything I never realized I needed. He isn't like you. You were all so spontaneous and young. I thought that it was fun, at first. But then I realized I want someone I can count on. I need a partner not just a boyfriend. And now I have that. I see the value in him being responsible. I love that he pays his bills as soon as he gets them. I love that he keeps his apartment clean and his room tidy. I love that he doesn't just show me love but shows me respect.

If it weren't for my experiences with you, I would not have seen his value. So thank you. Thank you for making me who I am. Thank you for making me the woman he loves. Thank you for letting me go. If you hadn't, I may still be with one of you and none of you are the person I need. Because I have met him and he is so much more than I ever thought I deserved.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment